APRIL 2, 2020 – IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Softball Ireland have received confirmation this morning that due to the ongoing global crisis caused by the COVID-19 vires the WBSC Europe Softball Division has decided amend it’s 2020 tournament schedule.
WBSC Europe Softball Division has confirmend the following:
- European softball international events for 2020 under Softball Europe have been cancelled except for;
- European Championships which act as qualifiers for World Cups 2021- the events have now been postponed to September.
What does this mean for softball Ireland?? Softball Ireland National teams and clubs were entered in three competitions in 2020 and update on the status of these tournaments is below:
- Women’s European Championship postponed to September 20 – 26, 2020
- Men’s Slowpitch European Championship *CANCELLED*
- European CO-ED Super Cup (Dodder) *CANCELLED*
The Fastpitch Ireland Board, Softball Ireland Board and Medical Committee will review Ireland’s participation in the Women’s European Championship once venue’s have been confirmed. Any decision on Ireland’s participation in the event will be athelete driven with consideration been given to the health & safety of the players and whether it is felt the athletes will have adequate time and opportunity to prepare and condition for the tournament.
The full statement from the WBSC Europe Softball Division is available HERE