As part of Softball Ireland’s commitment to improve communication with our members and keep you informed of areas of focus and decisions, Softball Ireland moving forward will be providing a summary of matters discussed at the Board and decisions taken. The below is a high level summary of the minutes of the
Softball Ireland Board Meeting
16 October 2018 / 7.00-9.00pm / World Rugby Offices
Colum Lavery (President – CL), Olwen Barrett (Treasurer – OB), Conor Sayles (Secretary – CS), Erin Brown (ind. – EB), Jonathan Spielberg (SL – JS), Melanie Lavery (FP – ML)
Jay Slevin (SU – JA)
- Minutes and updates noted
- Discussions with Baseball Ireland on the MOU continuing to finalise language.
- EB is working on TOR for the good governance group with the aim of progressing before the 2019 season.
- Noted that SU voted against changing the run ahead rule.
- Softball Skills Clinic and intro to FP launch was scheduled for 20 October in ALSAA and has been advertised on social media.
- Softball Ulster
- JA provided an update in advance and it was taken as read.
- CL noted the positive progress being made in Ulster following his attendance at the recent AGM
- Softball Leinster
- JS circulated minutes from the last SL meeting in advance. He also shared draft, high level accounts on the day.
- CL noted the long term need to agree a single format for all regional and national accounts to enable aggregation into consolidated “SI Group” accounts.
- Information for the SL AGM will be circulated shortly. CL offered to meet the SL Board in advance, but JS declined – not required.
- ML noted the focus of the programme was turning toward bottom-up development, following on from the success of the top-down approach.
- Finding more volunteers to support coaching and administration will be key to future progress.
- Continue to work on developing a selection policy that is acceptable to the Olympic Federation of Ireland
- CL noted TG4 interest in a FP documentary about girls in Irish sport, to be filmed before Christmas.
- Update on Softball Ireland finances was noted
- Final accounts to September 30, 2018 being prepared
- Belfast and Limerick are both keen to host a leg of the National Coed League. Galway are more interested in Pick ‘n’ Mix.
- The advertisements for a Competitions and Events Officer has drawn no volunteers. It will be raised again at the SL and SI AGMs and advertised on Volunteer Ireland. We are however near confirmation on a Communications Officer.
- CL noted a true slow pitch World Cup is in development with WBSC.
- CL noted his delight that Julie Trundle had offered to take over the running of the defunct Indoor tournaments over the winter and she has successfully relaunched the November tournament. CL added SI were delighted that Julie had accepted the title Head of Indoors.
- It is hoped to stream the AGM. Noted some concerns were raised about the in-person quorum attendance (50% teams).
- The SI Board reviewed the proposed constitutional amendments from SL. It was agreed that #6 is not constitutional.
- It was agreed to amend #2 to a set date of of Notice being issued by 1 September and combine an element of #1. Board was in agreement with recommendations #3, #4 and #5
- OB confirmed that she would not be running for re-election. CL thanked her on behalf of SI for 4 years’ service as treasurer.
- 2019 priorities
- The Board were supportive of proposed priorities presented by CL.
- SI Board asked to review and provide comments in advance of the AGM.
- SL suggested that responsibility for intervarsity coed slow pitch should reside with SI.
- 20 Softball Skills Clinic and Fastpitch League Event, ALSAA
- 21 Softball Leinster AGM
- 25 SI Board Con Call (0730)
- 17 Softball Ireland AGM, ALSAA